If you have an emergency, dial 911
We will continue to transform today’s fire/rescue service into a progressive, proactive and professional service; a service that will exceed today’s demands, and meet tomorrows.
To provide fire prevention, suppression and rescue services to the residents of the Town of Montverde and neighboring communities.
Our Department values describe how we approach performing our mission, and how we will proceed toward our vision:
- Focus – We are devoted to serving our residents and to exceeding their expectations.
- Excellence – We are committed to our members and to their development, service, safety and recognition.
- Service – We will always strive to provide prompt, professional service to the best of our abilities.
- Innovation – We constantly explore new concepts and methods in order to increase our efficiency and/or effectiveness.
- Teaming – We aggressively seek and accept partnerships to improve the quality of our organization and service.
- Integrity – We act ethically, we are honest, and we keep our word, and take full responsibility for our actions.
The Montverde Fire Department was founded in 1934 as a 100% volunteer organization. The (MFD) provides fire prevention, suppression and rescue services to the residents of the Town of Montverde and also provides service on a mutual/automatic aid basis to areas of unincorporated Lake County and neighbouring municipalities. The MFD has been recognized as the primary emergency services provider for the Town of Montverde by the Town Council.
Today, the MFD consists of approximately twenty active certified volunteer professionals manning two engine companies and an attack pumper. The department is managed by a full-time Fire Chief. Service is provided from a single central station located at 17105 Porter Ave, to the rear of the Town Municipal Campus. Our apparatus compliment consists of:
- Attack 85- 2008 325 GPM Ford F550 mini pumper
- Engine 85- 2004 1500 GPM Pierce Contender pumper
- Engine 851- 1956 500 GPM Ford / Seagrave pumper
The Montverde Fire Department was organized on March 28th, 1934 with 14 members. Milton Butler was appointed Fire Chief for an indefinite term and was paid the sum of One Dollar per month as salary for his services as Fire Chief. The first training session was held on April 2nd, 1934 with 12 members in attendance. Milton served as chief until 1945 and the current firehouse is dedicated to his memory as the Milton Butler Memorial Fire Station.
The town’s first piece of fire apparatus was a 1927 Cadillac. The car’s body had been removed and a wooden seat and truck bed were constructed. This unit was to serve as a “hose wagon” only as there was no pump. Several lengths of hose were carried along with a couple of nozzles.
Sometime in the late 40’s to early 50’s, an American LaFrance pumper (approx. 1917 model) was obtained from the City of Eustis and had a 500 GPM brass pump, dual-magneto ignition, a 250 gal. water tank and a pair of lanterns mounted near the rear of the vehicle. Original solid tires had been replaced with pneumatics. This pumper replaced the aforementioned Cadillac.
In 1958, the American LaFrance was replaced with a brand new 1956 Ford / Seagrave pumper. This pumper was completely restored / re-furbished in 2008 / 2009 and is fully functional.
The 1956 Ford / Seagrave. This photo was taken immediately upon returning to town from the Columbus, Ohio Segrave plant.
2009 marked 75 Years of Service for the Montverde Fire Department. The MFD has come a long way since 1934 and we look forward to many more years of dedicated service to our community.
Work Phone: 407-469-3466
Work Fax: 407-469-3460
Fire Chief Cell: 407-312-2106